What You Don’t Know About Your Wreck Can Affect Your Injury Recovery and Your Chances of Compensation
Too many lives have been forever altered and cut short as a result of a car accident. Survivors wake up in the hospital happy to be alive, only to be inundated with calls from bill collectors and insurance adjusters. After months of bed rest, they still cannot go back to work—and their savings accounts are all but empty due to their necessary medical treatments.
You Have a Right to Know What Will Happen to You After a Car Accident
Whether you have suffered whiplash, broken bones, a brain injury, or even paralysis after your car accident, you have a right to receive fair compensation if the crash was caused by a negligent driver. Unfortunately, many victims waive these rights by making simple mistakes that can harm their case. It is only after they have spent days in a hospital bed recovering that most victims even have time to ask basic questions about the accident, including:
- How will I pay for my medical bills?
- How am I going to make up for the time I have lost from work?
- How am I going to get around? Is my vehicle going to be fixed or is it a total loss?
- How will I be compensated for my injuries?
- Will the insurance company treat me fairly?
- Do I need a lawyer?
Our experienced team of car accident and injury attorneys believe that after an accident, all victims have a right to as much information as possible, as well as a right to compensation for injuries and damages. That is why we provide the answers to all these questions and more in our free book, Don’t Wreck Your Injury Claim, written by the experienced personal injury and car accident attorneys here at KCAIA. Begin protecting your rights, request your free copy today!
Who Could Be Liable for the Costs of Your Recovery?
There is almost no limit to the amount of money a victim could lose as a result of a car accident. First, there are the costs of emergency room services, hospitalization, and surgery to save his life. The patient must then suffer through weeks of painful recovery, physical rehabilitation, and range of motion exercises to regain the strength he has lost. There are the added financial burdens of the loss of his vehicle and the loss of his wages, since many victims are unable to return to work while their injuries heal. Finally, it’s not uncommon for an injured victim to suffer sleeplessness and flashbacks as a result of the psychological trauma of the crash.
You May Be Entitled to Compensation If You Were Injured As a Result of:
- Distracted Driving. An overwhelming number of accidents are caused by cell phone use, texting, or even drivers playing games on electronic devices behind the wheel. If you can prove that the driver who struck you was distracted at the time of the crash, you may be able to get significant compensation for your medical bills.
- Drunk Driving. Not only can drunk drivers be jailed and fined for causing an accident, the bar that over-served them can also be held liable for their role in the crash.
- Driver Fatigue. Studies have shown that getting behind the wheel when a person is exhausted—or driving for too many hours in one sitting—can impair a driver’s reflexes as much as intoxication.
- Recklessness. Speeding, aggressive driving, and driving too fast for road or weather conditions not only increases the chance of an accident, they also carry a higher risk of serious injury as a result of a crash.
- Car Malfunction. Some accidents are not the fault of the driver, but of the vehicle itself. If your car or the vehicle that struck you malfunctioned in some way—such as a stuck acceleration pedal, defective brakes, or seat belt failure—the car manufacturer or auto retailer may be liable for your medical bills and the replacement costs of your vehicle.
Our Kansas City Car Accident Lawyers Are Here to Handle Your Claim
Some car accident cases can be settled without the help of an attorney. However, simply retaining an attorney to represent you can affect the amount of your accident settlement. A recent study by the Insurance Research Council revealed that auto accident injury claimants who hired a lawyer received 3.5 times more than those who negotiated with the insurance adjuster themselves.
At Kansas City Accident Injury Attorneys, our first priority is to provide honest and accurate legal information to our clients. We want to see you get back on your feet and get the justice and compensation you deserve after a serious car accident. Our attorneys provide you with the personal care and attention you deserve, while using our years of experience to successfully represent you in front of insurance companies and in the courtroom—and we do not charge you any fees unless we win your case.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, we can help explain your legal rights at no cost to you. From our headquarters in Kansas City we serve all of Kansas and Missouri; we also have offices in Overland Park, Lee’s Summit, and Parkville to conveniently serve you. Simply fill out the short contact form on this page for a free consultation on your case, or give us a call at 816-471-5111.